MV Cheer takes second place at state championship

Kaylee Lemons, Co Editor-In-Chief

MV’s cheerleaders took the floor and dominated at the Illinois Cheerleading Coaches Association Championships on January 5, 2018.

The Rams boarded the bus and headed to the Bank of Springfield Center in Springfield, IL, and later returned home with the second place trophy in the Medium Varsity Division.

MV also received fourth place in the Small Junior Varsity Division.

The team was filled with anticipation as they waited for the results, wondering if they would make it into the top 5.

“When you get called down to the floor, which is just the top ten teams, it’s super exciting. Our team sits in a circle and we hold hands as the places get called. Your stomach feel like you are riding the superman at six flags they call teams from 10 to 1. The anticipation really builds up as each team gets called, but knowing how hard you work at practices really pays off when our name gets called for whatever place we get. It’s such a good feeling overall,” said Nevaeh Johnston, ‘20.

“I was completely shocked [when they called us for second place],” said Maggie Turner,’20.

“We didn’t hit our routine as good as we should have and we actually had 1.25 deduction. We were all a little bummed going into awards, but once we heard second place we were all overwhelmed with shock and joy!” added Turner

In addition to excelling as a team, several Rams received individual recognition as members of the ICCA All-State Team, which consists of 30 athletes being recognized from the best varsity level cheerleaders throughout the state of Illinois.

Maggie Turner, ‘20, Maddie Lane, ‘20, Kavion Millsap, ‘20, Jadyn Cole, ‘19, and Ryanna McGee, ‘19 all made the All-State team and were recognized for their hard work and efforts.

“It is such an honor. All of the girls and boys on the team are very talented. I think the best part about it is hearing your name when you are announced at ICCA in front of the huge crowd.” said Turner.

“[It’s] so exciting. It’s such a great program,” said Lane.

The team’s victories were well deserved, with team members putting in hard work at daily practices, CrossFit workouts, and more. The Rams found that their efforts paid off as they were successful and enjoyed the overall competition season.

“Competition was the best it’s ever been. Hitting clean on the mat with my team is the best feeling,” said Lane.

“[My favorite part of competition season is] being able to compete at competition with my team, as a team” said Johnston.

“I love getting to preform and represent our school.” said Turner.

After their ICCA State and MV Invitational victories, the Rams will continue their season and compete at the Illinois High School Association Sectional competition on January 26.