What is Student Services?

Alaina Maurer, Opinions Editor

“Student Services is the office on campus that serves all students, socially, emotionally, and academically,” said Ms. Julie Littlefair, Assistant Principal. “We register students for school as well. We also assist with school-wide testing, college, and career counseling. We have four school counselors, three school social workers, two administrative assistants, and myself as the administrator of the office.”

Ms. Littlefair oversees several areas. Ms. Littlefair stated, “I am the administrator that leads the office in ensuring we are meeting our goal of guiding students toward educational success. We work as a team to serve the students, faculty, and staff to make this happen each day.”

Ms. Littlefair said she sees “50-60 kids per day on average.” 

Ms. Littlefair noted, “If students are not ready to learn socially and emotionally then everything that happens in the classroom is harder for them. We assist in ensuring students are ready to learn and teachers can focus on instruction and learning.” “We also want to ensure that students graduate and are prepared for college and or their career path,” Ms. Littlefair added.

Does Student Services only help with counseling? Ms. Littlefair said “We also assist with college and career planning and guidance.”

How does Student Services change students? Ms. Littlefair stated “We support students so they can be successful in the classroom and hopefully in life after high school.

Does Student Services have all the supplies that they need for students?

Ms. Littlefair quoted “We have lots of free school supplies and hygiene products for students. We also have extra clothing, shoes, belts, etc. if students are in need.”

How does Student Services affect you? Ms. Littlefair stated “ I have the best job on campus. It is very rewarding to be able to lead and see results on a daily basis. At times it is a lot to juggle but I am thankful to be able to work with a wonderful staff, administration, teacher, paraprofessionals, office staff, and students. I don’t do anything alone but enjoy leadership and being able to support others. There is never a boring day and I look forward to coming to MVTHS.”

Does Ms. Littlefair like working with the crew that you have now or do you wish there were more counselors? Ms. Littlefair said “We could definitely serve more students with more school counselors and school social workers, but think we do a great job with the seven staff we have. They work very effectively as a team to serve as many students as possible and well.”