MV social media recieves backlash

Grace Mathews, News Editor

Tuesday January 31, 2022, MV was one of the only schools in Jefferson County in session for school. Even though the roads were clear, there was a lot of controversy on the MV Facebook page after a “school in session post”. Posted by our superintendent Mrs. Melanie Andrews.

“Whenever I cancel school or choose to use an E- Learning day there’s a lot of thought that goes into it. I talk to multiple other superintendents from different schools in the county and see what they plan on doing and what their concerns are before deciding what we will do,” said Mrs. Andrews.

Monday night, Mrs. Andrews posted about school not being in session until the next  morning when roads were back to good conditions. She deleted the post and changed it back to school in session. 

“I drove for four hours that morning on country roads and struggled to find a slick spot,” said Mrs. Andrews.
After many students discovered they had school the next day, they started commenting on the Facebook post and the post was reposted on many different forms of social media. 

“After reading some of the comments it just started to sound like the students just didn’t want to go to school because they wanted another free day”. Said Mrs. Andrews

“I like to read the comments to stay informed on what people are thinking and to know if there are any concerns that need to be addressed,”. Added Mrs. Andrews

Even though the comments were funny they were irrelevant to the original post and no students were in trouble for any comments they made under the post. 

“I hope students in the community respect the decisions I make because I always air on the side of caution and the decisions are made with a lot of thought and planning”. Says Mrs Andrews.

“And let Fischer Davis know I won’t be paying him that $100 dollars since we had school”. Mrs. Andrews added