SADD President: Kassidy Olsen

A Closer Look at SADD and What they Stand for

Emily Gerke, A&E Editor

Recently SADD, Students Against Destructive Decisions, elected a new executive board. Kassidy Olsen, President, Chloe Jackson, Vice President, and Chloe Flanigan, Secretary.

“I feel very honored to have been elected as SADD president. I’m excited to lead the group into helping make Mount Vernon more positive,” said Kassidy Olsen, ’20, SADD president.

According to https://www.sadd.org/who-we-are/our-history/ SADD was founded as “Students Against Drunk Driving” in 1981. However, in 1991, SADD changed its name to “Students Against Destructive Decisions”.

“SADD is a group of students who have the passion f or helping others understand that they’re not the only one. We cover a lot of different areas like mental illnesses, drunk driving, and helping spread positivity. We try to help kids in other types of areas in life. As someone who has been though mental illness, I have a passion to let others know they’re not the only ones struggling. If I could just help out one person, it’ll be worth it,” stated Olsen.

Olsen said, “I want SADD to be stable — I want it to have an organized system. I want everyone that comes through to have a goal in their head and passion in their hearts. I want the next president after me to continue the goal and not let it crumble.”