Sub Debs Push Back Against T-Shirt Ban

Althea Stachyra, Editor-In-Chief

Members of Sub Debs have pushed back against the recent ban of any Sub Debs apparel at MV.

“Our members wear their shirts because they are proud to be part of an organization that does good, not to promote being a ‘sorority’ or anything in that category,” said Sub Debs President Brooklynn Kelley, ‘19.

MV Administrators decided to ban any apparel with “Sub Debs” printed on it because of the negative reputation the group had in the past.

“They went off of pure word of mouth from the community of Mount Vernon before making their decision, and as a result, Sub Debs in their eyes had been labeled, exclusive, snooty, and a partying group,” Kelley stated.

“There is no proof or evidence that within the last three years we have done anything to give anyone a valid negative opinion of us,” said Sub Debs Secretary, Nici Rudd, ‘19.

However, members of the Sub Debs executive board claim they are working to change their reputation.

“Last Christmas, we sold calendars to raise money for Angel’s Cove. At the beginning of this school year, we collected canned goods and donated them to the Lifeboat Alliance Homeless Shelter. Just a few weeks ago, we put together goody bags for the Baptist Children’s Home golf scramble,” said Sub Debs Vice President, Ashton McPherson, ‘19, “We have taken many steps in the right direction to change the name of Sub Debs.

The members were not informed of the ban prior to the first offense.

“We were made aware of this rule change when a student was sent home for wearing her sub debs crew neck to school,” said McPherson, “Many teachers were unaware of this rule change also.”

Several members of Sub Debs expressed their frustration towards the ban.

We are a philanthropic club that does nothing to represent drinking, drugs, or anything illegal that could be represented at school,” said Kelley.

“It is ironic that in school and in life you are taught to not judge others and to not label others. But that’s exactly what is happening to us,” said Rudd, “Because of what some people have to say about us and because of their opinions, we cannot wear an article of clothing that simply says ‘Sub Debs.’”

The executive board met with Superintendent Mr. Jeff Fritchtnitch, and explained why they think the rule should be changed.

“We presented our philanthropic club for exactly what it was, charity. Not a sorority or a drinking/drugs club,” said Kelley.

“Although some of these accusations may have been true in the past, we presented to administration that we are working to change our name, and have put those characteristics behind us,” said McPherson.

However, after this meeting, they were eventually informed the apparel was still against the dress code.

“Our group, however we may feel regarding their decision, respected that they heard us out, and have not attempted to wear the unpermitted Sub Debs shirts,” said Kelley.

The group will continue to work to change its reputation.

“Administration said that a no now is not a no in the future, and that if we continue to be philanthropic and change our reputation for the good, that they would be happy to reconsider,” said Kelley.

Vernois News reached out to MV administration.

As of press time, the administration was unavailable for comment.