FBLA Achieves Goal of Giving Back with Canned Food Drive

Kaylee Lemons, Co Editor-In-Chief

MV’s Future Business Leaders of America recently hosted the 9th annual canned food drive as one of its community service projects.

On October 20, FBLA members placed grocery bags on the front doors of Mount Vernon homes, with a note explaining the purpose of the food drive.

Bags were also placed in teacher’s mailboxes, involving MV’s student body and staff in the event.

The bags filled with canned goods were collected from homes a week later on October 27, while those from the school were picked up on October 2.

FBLA estimated that 800 to 1000 cans were collected, all of which were donated to the Central Christian Church food pantry.

Members find the can drive a good way to bring together the community and help out local families around the holidays.

“I think that it was a great event that showed how amazing Mount Vernon’s community is and I’m glad that we are able to come together to deal with an important issue in the community,” said Brendan Parks, ‘21.

“FBLA has hosted this food drive for 9 years.  It is a community service project that we determined was needed for families in Mt. Vernon that struggle during the holidays,” said Ms. Julie Hayes, FBLA Advisor.

“We appreciate the generosity of the Mt. Vernon community and the staff at MVTHS for donating food items to area needy families,” added Ms. Hayes.