Do not let your test scores determine your self-worth

On April 9, 2019 juniors across the nation participated in the annual SAT testing day. Here at MV, Juniors filled both Changnon Gymnasium and the Auxiliary Gymnasium to take the test, while freshman and sophomores were relocated into other parts of the school to take a practice version of the SAT.

In case it wasn’t made well known at the “Rock the SAT Pep Rally,” or the many announcements, this test is a big deal. Fortunately, the whole took to this idea, and acted respectful. For the most part, students took on the challenge of the SAT and PSAT with a positive attitude.

The scores made on this test are what college admissions offices review. This is the test that determines scholarships and financial aid. It’s an important day for students and parents.

The general consensus among students is apathy, but quite a few students try their best and accept that this test may very well determine where they go to college.

Many students are asking the same question: If how we score on this tests determines so much of our future, why would we try to get good grades in school? This popular question is an extremely valid one to ask. Why should students try to get good grades if all colleges care about is an SAT or ACT score?

Colleges generally look at both GPA, which is determined by grades, and SAT or ACT score. However, generally speaking, colleges are starting to value test scores over GPA. For some, this is a blessing. For others, however, this is a curse.

Unfortunately, the only thing the SAT and ACT measures is one’s ability to take tests. It, for the most part, is not a good demonstration of knowledge.

The same, however, can be said of GPA. A good GPA usually just means that the student is good at “doing school.” They are responsible, turn in their assignments, communicate well (ask questions and reason), and pay attention in class. However, a good GPA doesn’t necessarily mean the student is “smart,” and a bad GPA does not mean that a student is not as intelligent. There are quite a few students who’s GPA does not necessarily reflect their test scores.

Do not let your test score define you, students. Or your GPA, for that matter. Neither of these numbers should make you rethink your self-worth or make you think differently about yourself. You are all 4.0’s and 1600’s.