Student Council announces “Way Back Orange and Black” as 2019 Homecoming theme

Kaylee Lemons, Co Editor-In-Chief

Upon entering the halls MV in late September, one may think they are traveling back in time as students celebrate homecoming week like it’s “the good ol’ days”. Student Council has announced the 2019 homecoming theme will be “Way Back, Orange and Black” as a celebration of MV’s 115th anniversary. 

The CXV festivities will kick off with a Homecoming Hop on Friday, September 13. The music and food filled dance will take place in the Auxiliary Gym from 9:30 P.M. to 10:45 P.M. and feature the announcement of MV’s 2019 Homecoming Court. 

The Mount Vernon community will also get to be involved in the school’s celebrations as they witness students take part in the Fall Fest Parade. On September 28,  MV’s homecoming court, football team, cheerleaders, marching band, and other clubs will be featured on the streets of Mount Vernon in the parade’s homecoming segment. 

The night before homecoming week, students will have the opportunity to get into the spirit by decorating their class presentation areas on September 29 at 4 P.M.  Freshman will decorate Freshman Academy, Sophomores will accessorize B Wing Presentation Area, Juniors will embellish C Wing Presentation Area, and Seniors will bedeck F Stairway with their class colors.

Homecoming week officially begins on Monday, September 30, featuring various spirit days and activities.

Monday is the annual Homecoming T-Shirt Day. Students should wear their “CXV – Way Back Orange and Black” t-shirt, which they will receive with the purchase of their homecoming dance ticket. 

Tuesday is “True to Your Roots Tuesday” as students reflect upon the good ‘ole days and wear their old grade school memorabilia. Everyone will then switch their grade school attire to orange and black for the Cosmic Bowling night at Nu Bowl Lanes.

Wednesday will be “Way Back Wednesday” as students pull out those old pictures and replicate the ‘70’s, ‘80’s, ‘90’s attire their parents wore when they were in high school. 

Thursday is “Throwback Thursday” for Ram Nation as students sport retro Ram gear such as old letterman jackets, uniforms, and other memorabilia. Thursday’s throwbacks will continue when MV hosts their second year of a returning, old tradition: the Homecoming Bonfire. Music and commentary will be offered by the Khaos Kage leaders, football team, and cheerleaders as the student body gathers around the fire. MV’s Board of Education will serve s’mores, hot dogs, chips, drinks and more. The fire will be held on the edge of the practice field from 7:00 to 9:00 P.M. 

Friday is Ram Pride Day, where students go all out in orange and black attire for the Homecoming Pep Rally. Students will bring their pep rally energy to the Khaos Kage that night for the homecoming football game at Hunt Stadium. 

Concluding homecoming week is the homecoming dance, themed “Dancing Through the Memories”. The dance will be held in Changnon Gymnasium from 7:00 to 10:00 P.M. with coronation at 8:00 P.M.  

Students can purchase their tickets to “Dancing Through the Memories” on September 23 through 26 during all lunch periods. Tickets are $20 each and must be purchased using cash only.