Hi-Tri prepares for annual Sweetheart dance

JaRay Mincey, Staff

Hi-Tri is planning to make this year’s Sweetheart extra special with the theme “Walking in a Winter Wonderland.”

Hi-Tri has been planning the dance since September of last year.

Students who plan on attending can expect a wintery, icy feel at this year’s dance.

“The gym will be decorated in blue, white, and silver with lots of snowflakes. In addition to the dance, there will be a selfie photo area with a winter scene background and winter themed photo props,” stated Ms. Tami Lovin, Hi-Tri cosponsor.

The Hi-Tri committee considered some other themes for the dance before making their decision.

“We thought about Candyland, but Winter Wonderland popped,” said Tori McGrath, ’20.

“It’s basically a big brainstorming session. Everyone throws out ideas, we vote on them, and narrow it down to a single theme,” said Ms. Taylor Black, Hi-Tri cosponsor.

Hi-Tri believes this year’s dance will differ from past years.

“We are trying out a new DJ this year and we think it will be a hit,” said Ms. Lovin. “We didn’t order a lot of big decorations for the stage and we are creating our own winter wonderland scene.”

“Also, the kings will be getting crowns this year instead of hats,” added Ms. Lovin.

The Hi-Tri committee emphasizes the difference between Sweetheart and other dances.

“The main difference between Sweetheart and the other major dances is that we have a king and queen from each class,” said Ms. Lovin. “Also, only the kings and queens are introduced and crowned during coronation instead of having a court with one king and queen.”

The committee holds meetings to plan the dance.

“The members look at catalogs to get ideas for decorations, choose tiaras for queens, discuss ideas, pick songs to use during coronation, and make any other necessary decisions,” said Ms. Lovin.

Hi-Tri will also be hosting a spirit week the week prior to the dance.

“This is our second year having a Sweetheart Spirit Week,” stated Ms. Lovin. “The days will be February 10-14.”

On Monday, friends will twin with each other for “Twinning Monday.”

Students will be getting comfy on Tuesday in their pajamas or sweats.

On “Winter Wednesday,” students will wear their best winter clothing.

Thursday is “Dress to Impress Thursday,” where students will dress to impress.

Finally, on “Showing the Love Friday,” girls will wear pink and boys will wear red to celebrate Valentine’s Day.