MV dominates in Scholastic Art Awards

Kaylee Lemons, Co Editor-In-Chief

The 46th Scholastic Art Awards Exhibition opened at Cedarhurst Center for the Arts on January 12. The exhibit features an abundant amount of artwork created by students of Mount Vernon Township High School. 

Students enrolled in art classes were encouraged by their teachers to submit their best artwork to the contest.

“I encourage students to enter because it’s a great opportunity for them and our school.  Scholastics is regional so students get to experience competition and see what other area high school students are doing,” said Mr. Matt Gholson, art teacher. 

Students can receive recognition and various awards for their submissions. 

“Students can win Silver Keys, Gold Keys, Vision Awards, and Cedarhurst awards the best Senior Portfolio a 2,000 dollar scholarship. Just being accepted into the show and receiving an honorable mention is a huge accomplishment,” explained Gholson. 

MV contestants received a large majority of the awards up for consideration. 

“This was a huge year for MVTHS at Scholastics this year. 38 students received awards. While we tied with Marion for the number of students recognized we dominated the competition winning 4 out 5 of the Best of show awards and 13 gold keys,” said Gholson. 

“MV had a successful year in Scholastics. We had a lot of students receive high honors in painting, drawing, ceramics, [and more],” said Charu Jain, ‘20. 

“I received gold keys on two of my individual paintings and a gold key on my portfolio. I also received the portfolio scholarship,” Jain added. 

MV’s art department includes classes such as drawing, painting, ceramics, photography, 2D design, music, and many other mediums, that have assisted in MV’s success with events such as Scholastics. 

“We are truly blessed here at MVTHS with a Fine Arts department that offers students opportunities they couldn’t find at many area schools, award winning choir, band, a full orchestra, incredible theatrical productions, as well as visual art classes that are second to none in our region,” expressed Gholson. 

Cedarhurst will host the official award ceremony for the Scholastics Exhibition on February 9 at 3:00pm.