NHS tutor/mentor program aids in student learning

Emmie Peck, Staff Writer

At MV, the National Honor Society set up a tutoring and mentoring program for students who need help with anything ranging from school work to just talking about life. Volunteers that are in the NHS committee are helping students in-person or remote. 

There are several ways one can sign up. They created a Google Form for students to fill out, there are flyers around the school for students to view, and there is a billboard near the Cafeteria. Tutors come in on Thursdays at 2-3 and Friday at 12-3 in the library (Media Center). Tutoring/Mentoring is available to everyone and your identity is kept anonymous. You can also email Ms. Maxey ([email protected]) or Ben Houle ([email protected]) and let one of them know you want to sign up. 

Madi Hood, ‘22, Abby Lorenz, ‘22, Olivia McConnaughay, ‘21, and Jaylee Lisenbee, ‘22 are all tutors for this program. They have similar opinions on what the best part of the program is.

Hood said, “The best part of the program is that there is a tutor or mentor who can help any student that comes to us for help.”

“The best part would have to be helping students, even if it is just a little bit,” McConnaughay stated.

Lisenbee said, “Knowing that I am helping someone, and building experience.”

Reasons for becoming a tutor ranged from helping with school work to making freshmen feel more comfortable.

“I wanted to help mentor because coming in as a freshman can be a bit scary, especially this year with the virus,” stated Lorenz.

“I like teaching others and helping [students] learn,” said Hood, “That is why I wanted to be a tutor. To help them get something out of the class they are taking. I want the student to understand what they are learning and not just doing it to get the grade.”

“I want to tutor people because I know how hard school can be. I went through high school teaching myself in most of my classes because I could not understand what/how teachers taught me,” McConnaughay said.

National Honor Society started this program in order to ease students’ everyday struggles.

“Everyone struggles,” Lisenby stated, “and we didn’t want others to feel the same way.”

“We thought it would be very beneficial for students that are struggling to get work done or navigate remote learning,” said Hood.

McConnaughay said, “The National Honor Society tutor/mentoring program is composed of members of the NHS that volunteer to assist with classwork, give a little guidance, and make a change for anyone who is lost or in need of help.”