Student Council moves “Out of This World” homecoming dance to gym

Charlie Houle, Staff

For the first time in two years, MV had a homecoming dance. Students and staff enjoyed a full week of homecoming activities, ending with the dance itself on October 2nd.

The dance was split into two sections: a 5:00-7:00 dance and an 8:00-10:00 dance.

Originally slated to be set outdoors, in the end it was changed to the Aux Gym due to inclement weather.

These decisions garnered mixed reactions among students and staff.

Ava Barker, ‘22 and vice president of the Executive Board, stated that the decisions were “not her favorite thing,” but it was the “only option [that made sure] everyone could participate.”

Before being moved inside, the plan for an outdoor dance was a primary cause of concern among students and teachers alike.

“Weather is a concern,” stated Barker.

“I have heard some complaints about the weather,” said Mr. Pierce Borah, social studies teacher.

Comments regarding the weather aside, the general opinion of the outdoor dance was mixed.

“I think the outdoor dance [would] be cool,” said Gabe Luttinen, ‘23.

“[I] hope the dance is inside,” stated Weston Riggan, ‘23.

Skepticism regarding the unconventional format of the dance and its circumstances was made evident through lower than usual ticket sales.

According to a survey conducted before the dance, well over half of the respondents believed that COVID-19 was a primary cause of decreased sales.

This survey also concluded that the two separate sessions likely contributed to lower sales, with about 25% citing this as a cause.

“[There is a] multitude of factors behind decreased ticket sales. Two sessions and outdoors is atypical. Some have concerns regarding the coronavirus,” stated Borah.

According to Student Council co-advisor Dr. Jamey VanZandt, around 560 Homecoming dance tickets were sold, selling 180 for the 5:00-7:00 session, and selling 375 for the 8:00-10:00 session.

“The 5:00-7:00 slot is a huge factor. No one wants to dance when the sun is still out,” remarked Roman Harrison, ‘22.

Despite several complaints, many were thankful that a dance was happening.

“At least there is a dance,” said Ms. Jessica Pilson, social studies teacher.

General opinion of the homecoming dance was very high, with the interior decorations being a highlight for many.

“[The dance] was fun even though it was shorter than most years. It was kind of wet at pictures so that was kind of upsetting. The decorations were very nice when we walked into the gym,” commented Ali Benson, treasurer for the Class of ‘23.

“The water in the lobby was nice because I was thirsty. I wish they would have let people in a little sooner because I missed 30 minutes [of the dance],” spoke Callie Prost, ‘23.

“I liked how the homecoming court was shorter this year. It gave us more time for the dance and I liked all the decorations in the gym,” stated Colin McClure, ‘23.

“I really enjoyed attending this year’s homecoming dance after missing out last year. It was a great week back enjoying the many homecoming festivities. I also served as emcee for the events leading up to it. That was a wonderful time,” stated Jude Erasmus, ‘23 and HOSA President.

“Overall, I think the dance was a huge success. There were many funny moments and takeaways that I will be left with and I’m looking forward to doing this next year,” Erasmus added.