How we really think: Class of 2024

Sophomore students and their teachers share insights during COVID era

Kha'Mia Oats, Staff

“Success is not final, Failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston S. Churchill

MV sophomores have experienced great havoc since they entered the halls of Mount Vernon Township High School, whether that be virtually or in-person. How have sophomores managed such a transition to high school?

“I’m not like every other person – I’m me,” stated Kira Ortiz, ‘24.

“I don’t do drugs,” stated R-rielle Oats, ‘24.

When transitioning from middle school to high school, students have no idea what to expect. It’s almost a new adventure.

“I wish people would talk more about the things that happen outside of school,” said Oats.

“Mental health is what people should be talking about,” explained Ortiz.

As the years go on, we evolve with that year, and to make improvements is an important ordeal. Have the sophomores improved from the year before?

“Yes, when I was younger I tended to get bad grades. I’ve gotten a good grip on my grades now,” said Oats.

“My grades have improved and I’ve learned to be myself to make friends!” stated Ortiz.

At a young age, students set goals for themselves. Moving forward then try to achieve said goals accordingly.

“I want to at least get all A’s once before high school ends,” said Oats.

“To graduate and go to college,” said Ortiz.

There are many resources for kids who need assistance in school. This includes people inside school as well as out. These are examples of the way some find that extra help.

“My sister helps me when I can’t understand a certain assignment,” said Oats.

“My mom, she advised me on the things I needed to know. I wouldn’t be where I am without her,” said Ortiz.

These last few years have been quite the ride, with a worldwide pandemic to navigate, while continuing on with the busy lives we have.

Mrs. Kristy Wissinger, math, stated “I started teaching here approximately seven weeks before the initial shut down due to the pandemic. So I can’t say I have ever taught in a normal school environment. Every bit of my teaching career has been affected by COVID. However, it has been challenging but I feel like I have adapted well and have made the best of a not so good situation.”

“I think beginning at the start of the pandemic has challenged me and made me more prepared than anything,” added Mrs. Wissinger.

This worldwide pandemic has affected many in different ways. In terms of learning abilities after or during this pandemic, has it hit students for the worse or better?

“No, everything still feels the same to me,” stated Oats.

“Yes and no. Yes, because I didn’t get taught everything I should know to prepare me for my current year. No, because the way I remember many assignments is about the same,” explained Ortiz.

What were sophomores like years ago? Were they like our current sophomores or the complete opposite?

“My sophomore year compared to my sophomore year….. where do you start? I feel that back (we won’t mention how many years ago), when I was a sophomore kids took their education more seriously and were more respectful towards teachers, and other adults. All of my friends had jobs, were involved in school activities and sports. I feel like the majority of today’s kids prefer the easy route,” said Mrs. Wissinger.

“The Life of a Sophomore” … such a fancy title. The home life of a sophomore is like the next. Everything starts with the relationships between parent and child at home.

“It’s not bad, it’s normal,” said Oats.

“It feels normal.  I mean they are my parents,” said Ortiz.