Bendersky shares mental health tips and motivators from his experiences

Ryan Bendersky, Editor In-Chief

As 2021-22 rolls toward its halfway point, it’s probable that some MV students have dealt with some mental struggles.

Freshmen have become used to the stress that comes with high school life. Sophomores have experienced their first taste of the normal MV high school life and attending school every day for the first time. Juniors engage with challenging classes and do what they can for a future college career. Seniors apply to colleges and prepare to leave an environment they love so dearly. 

In response to these potential struggles, I feel I can provide some advice and motivation to those who are in need based on my experiences.

In the recent past, I have struggled with many mental blocks that, at the time, shook my world. These included daily panic/anxiety attacks, depression, even suicidal thoughts- all in the span of last September. These experiences have massively impacted my life in many ways. I had to learn remotely for a month while I recovered. I left people behind in my life I thought to be friends, and I also became better friends with people at the time I knew as acquaintances. After this setback, I managed to bring myself back up better than ever. I dug myself out of an academic hole, powered through my fears of the school atmosphere, and came back with a better, stronger mindset.

With these facts, I feel I can share some personal perspectives that I learned, especially in the department of anxiety. 

Anxiety, which used to be one of my main struggles, is one of those areas that is going to stick with you for a long time. It is completely mentally driven, and it is only what one makes of it. One doesn’t learn to cure it; they only learn to cope with it as most generally anxious people would share. It will take time depending on what’s encountered, but there is always a solution to function in society with it. 

A great blessing this school has is our MV social workers who can help all students, anxiety-wise, get in a better mindset and develop coping strategies. 

Personally, I don’t know how helpful Mrs. Brookman and Mrs. McGuire are but what I do know is the social worker I saw, Ms. Black, is an amazing person to talk to and helped me get through my first couple of days back at school. I also see my therapist, Melanie, who has helped me in many ways, mainly growing a stronger mindset.

Whenever you go through a big experience like the one I had, you will find out who are the people that care about you and who are the people that don’t. Those good people in your life you must remember it’s okay to lean on them for support.

Always remember you are not alone, no one makes it through life alone. When you are at your worst, remember it’s okay to lean on your friends, family, and trusted adults. For the best help, you should, again, go to our MV social workers. 

Though it’s good to lean on others and get help, you must be able to rely on yourself, too. Don’t expect others to be there for you because the sad truth is not everyone wants to, trust me I learned that the hard way. It is crucial that you can be self-dependent in life because there will be times where you are on your own and you have to figure things out. 

When you are a high schooler, you have to learn how to be responsible, do things for yourself, and make sure you are mentally healthy. Outside of classes, there is tons of open time for this progress and it can even start with doing what makes you happy.

Find what makes you happy in your everyday lives and simply “Just do it”, make it a part of your life that you look forward to. You can even take time out of your days for friends, activity, or rest. Something like this gives you motivation and generally brings you more joy. 

Now that MV knows a bit about me, I don’t want everyone around me to treat me any different. Take these important tips into your life and thrive in your high school life. Take care MV!