A look inside the Kage

Alistair Clodi and Grace Mathews

Picture a sea of high school students packed together in the stands, dressed in orange and black, beach wear, or red, white, and blue.

As the football season continues, MV students are spending their Friday evenings inside the Khaos Kage.

“The Khaos Kage is the MV student section, and it has been called that for as long as I can remember,” stated Sydney Lalumondier, ‘23.

For every game, Tyler Kemp ‘23, Becker Andrews ‘23, and Lalumondier assign a theme and dress code for Kage participants to follow.

“My favorite part of Khaos Kage is dressing in theme, I love the environment it creates,” said Colin Tisdale, ‘23.

A plethora of themes have been done over the years but there are a few that are mainstays like “Pink Out”, “Blackout”, and many other favorites among MV students.

“My favorite theme is “Pink Out” or “Cowboy,” said Jacque Wilson, ‘23. Additionally, “My freshman year we had an Imitation Night, and we all decided to dress up as the principal at the time. It was very funny,” recalled Tisdale.

The Kage is a large part of MV sports culture and has become one of the most beloved after-school activities. It will be missed by so many of the seniors graduating this year.

“I will miss the atmosphere surrounding the Kage the most. Everybody is dressed up, everybody is cheering, and nerves are on edge,” commented Wilson.

Even if the Rams win or lose, the adrenaline is always rushing and the Kage is always cheering. 

“It makes me feel like y’all actually care about being a Ram and coming to support the football team regardless of the outcome means everything,” stated Anthony Lash, ‘23. 

The Kage is a space for all MV students to cheer for our sports teams, but a lot of students are using the Khaos Kage as an outlet to misbehave.

“I think people need to understand that the Khaos Kage is still a place where you need to respect the teams at MV. There is a lot of hatred and acting-up going on,” stated Tisdale.

Another issue within the Kage is that Freshmen are throwing things within the Kage and a lot of people are being disrespectful toward each other.

“A rule the freshmen need to follow is to stop throwing things,” stated Lalumondier. “It’s an out-of-school function, but you are still representing MV,” added Tisdale.

Lalumondier has also felt the brunt end of several hurtful chants and slanderous social media posts.

“I would just like to say that there are three Kage leaders, and I hope MV students realize that the Kage is not something to get so divided about. I just feel like they forget it’s supposed to be something fun for the students to be a part of and it’s not a competition,” stated Lalumondier.