Holidays ‘n the Vern

Alistair Clodi, Managing Editor

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas here at MV.

MV Student Council has many plans to make this holiday season a very holly jolly one!

Each December, the week before students go on winter break, Student Council puts on a Holiday Spirit Week.

“Holiday Spirit Week is always the week before we all go on break and Student Council stages a collection of fun and festive holiday activities,” commented Reagan Schmidt, ‘23.

When most students think about Holiday Spirit Week, they think of the dress up themes for every day of the week.

“Monday’s theme is “Long Winter’s Nap Day.” On this day you wear Pajamas,” stated Justice Malone, ‘23.

Pajama day is always a favorite among students and staff.

“Pajama day is definitely my favorite, it’s super easy and comfy and the whole student body can participate,” commented Mrs. Melanie Andrews, Superintendent. 

“On Tuesday, the theme is “Rudolph V.S. The Grinch.” Upperclassmen are to wear red, while underclassmen wear green,” said Caitlyn Bernard, ‘23.

Many Student Council Executive Board members voiced excitement for this brand-new Rudolph and Grinch-themed day.

“Wednesday’s theme is “Ugly Sweater Day.” The Executive Board is very excited to see all the hilarious and clever sweaters all the students will make for this day,” shared Malone.

Additionally, on Wednesday night, MV will host a Coffeehouse in the Media Center. 

“On Thursday, the theme is “Welcome to the Workshop.” On this day, students and staff are invited to dress as Santa or one of Santa’s helpers,” stated Bernard.

“Welcome to the Workshop” is another brand new dress theme being introduced during this year’s Holiday Spirit Week.

“Friday’s theme is “Flannel Friday”, this is another new dress theme for MV and I am excited because this is another easy dress theme,” commented Malone.

In years past, Holiday Spirit Week’s festivities were topped off with a pep rally on Friday, but not this year.

We have three pep assemblies each year to recognize our fall, winter, and spring athletes and extracurricular programs.  Administratively, we want to balance fun for students with academics.  As we near the end of the semester, we know that teachers want as much contact time with students in the classroom,”  said Mrs. Andrews. 

Additionally, besides dressing up, several other elements make Holiday Spirit Week what it is.

“We will continue the candy cane tradition where students and staff will have the opportunity to buy candy canes and send a special holiday message with them.  In addition, Student Council will provide some type of service project for the community.  Also, be sure to tune in to the hallway music as you walk to class that week,” continued Mrs. Andrews. 

“I’m so excited for this year’s Holiday Spirit Week!” added Schmidt.