MV students enjoy abnormally warm February, cold March

Jacqueline Wilson, Managing Editor

Groundhogs Day, observed on February 2nd every year, is a tradition celebrated across the country. This year Punxsutawney Phil did see his shadow, which marks a prediction for colder weather on the way. But, his prediction was not quite accurate.

If there is one thing we can rely on in terms of Southern Illinois weather, it’s unpredictability. Though temperatures did reach low digits at times, this February was pretty bearable compared to previous years. 

“I hate the cold. I am very happy that the weather has been nice. I am having high hopes for the rest of spring and summer,” shared Finley Clugston, ‘24. 

The weather has provided students with opportunities not usually attainable in February.

“I enjoy walking my dog, so it’s nice to feel comfortable while outside,” shared Peyton Julius, ‘24. 

Some students are unsure of the nice weather.

“It is very unusual. I feel like February is typically very cold. I am not complaining, but it feels suspicious,” shared MaJaiah Spells, ‘23. “Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the nice weather goes away and we meet a second wave of cold,” she added. 

Only time will tell how the weather will turn out.

“I hope it stays warmer at least through spring break. I remember last year it was rainy and colder the whole time. I was fortunate enough last year to visit Ft. Meyers, Florida, but this year I will be staying in town. My fingers are crossed it can be sunny,” shared Alica Venson, ‘23.

As time has transitioned into March, we have seen that the warm weather was in fact not here to stay. Temperatures, rain, and wind, limited outdoor time throughout the month. But, Spring is officially here as of March 20th, and students are hopeful that sunny weather is on its way.