Mv Student Council attends 89th Annual IASC State Convention

Cam Meyer, Editor In-Chief

From May 3-6, many of MV’s Student Council members attended the 89th annual IASC State Convention.

When they first arrived, members had time to kill before their formal dinner at Buca di Beppo, so many went to the local mall or Target.

“The 25 STUCO members we took from MVTHS were engaged and participated the entire time,” described Co-Advisor and Superintendent Mrs. Melanie Andrews.

On day two, events for off the ground, with the second general session occurring from 7:00-9:15, with Officer Candidates’ speeches along with a moving and inspirational speech from International Leadership Trainer A’ric Jackson.

Following this session, MV members discussed the Candidates’ Seminar by Justice Malone.

Day three introduced the first workshops for attendees to participate in the after the third general session, where the 2023-24 IASC Board was announced, and Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker gave a work and answered questions from the crowd.

“What occurred in my workshop was a combination and comparison of ideas for what fun things they do in school, such as powderpuff, Homecoming Parades, or field days, with the main focus being to bring something you would like to do in your school, home.” stated McKenzie Hughes, ’25.

Candidate Kaleigh Brumley, ’24, was elected as the IASC President for the 2023-24 school year, and everyone at MV was very excited for her.

“The feeling of when I became President was self gratifying. I felt I really took my leadership of confidence skills to the next level. I am eager and ambitious to see what this prestigious position holds, ” stated Brumley.

“Kaleigh winning President was well deserved and I can’t wait to see everything she accomplishes over the next year,” expressed Julius.

Day three wrapped up with the annual banquet, followed by the dance in the ballroom, lasting until midnight.

“I thought the banquet was super fun, and I enjoyed reflecting on the last couple day of the convention at it,” added Julius.

“The dance was really fun and a great way to end the convention, with all of us coming together to celebrate our work,” stated Makenly Miller, ’24.

IASC was an amazing experience for a first-timer like myself, ranging from races in the pool to a steaming hot dance room, I most definitely plan on attending again next year, and I hope that conference is just as fun as this one was.

“State was one of the best Conventions I’ve been a part of, with 25 members attending, a charter bus, Peyton serving on State Board, and Kaleigh being elected President. MV Student Council and the LEDSC represented,” shared Co-Advisor Dr. Jamey VanZandt.