MV Student Body’s Reflection of 2022-2023 School Year

Alistair Clodi, Managing Editor

From the backpack ban to our football team’s comeback this season, the 2022-2023 school year will surely be remembered by many. As the number of school days left in the 2022-2023 school year is dwindling, many students are beginning to close this chapter in their lives; and are opening the next.

Over the summer, before the school year kicked off, MV Administration announced that beginning August 15, 2022, all students were prohibited from carrying a backpack during the school day.

“Everyone was dreading not being able to carry a backpack and were upset with this new rule,” said Colin Tisdale, ‘23.

Many students began to carry small bags or tote bags as an alternative until Administration also cracked down on the usage of bags and tote bags.

“I remember when everyone got their small bags and tote bags taken away, and people had to carry their folders and pencils in their hands,” commented Isabella Stanford, ‘26.

For some students, abandoning the ways of carrying their school items in backpacks came easy.

“A piece of advice I would give myself at the beginning of the year is [that] you will be just fine without a backpack,” stated Zuri Das, ‘25.

MV football has performed below average for many seasons, but everything changed this year.

“I will remember this school year by how we won more games this year than we have in the last five; the football season this year was electric,” said Cam Meyer, ‘25.

Alongside MV football’s massive success, MV students experienced huge success at an individual level.

“This year, I became the 2023-2024 Illinois Association of Student Councils President!” commented Kaliegh Brumley, ‘24.

“I got inducted into the National Honors Society and became a student leader in Fellowship of Christian Athletes!” shared Aubrey Chamness, ‘25.

“[I’m proud that] I’m doing better in math than I did last year,” stated Josie Shirley, ‘25.

In 2022-2023, many students learned lessons applicable in the classroom and daily life.

“Always follow through with your goals,” said Mikanda Wilkey, ‘23.

“Stay real and change for no one,” stated Brumley.

“Don’t date cross-country runners,” commented Ava Lowery, ‘26.

Not only did 2022-2023 teach us lessons, but it also threw challenges and adversities our way.

“Adjusting to A.P. classes was challenging,” said Klayton Simmons, ‘24.

“I had to find a way to juggle school and extra extracurriculars,” stated Molly Federici, ‘26.

“Having a big forehead,” commented Lowery and Megan White, ‘26.

On April 12, 2023, MVPD received a swatting call from MV, reporting a shooting; this experience left many students confused and scared.

“I remember everyone gave each other a concerned look after the first time there was an announcement over the intercom since the Code Red announcement,” added Federici.

Another memorable moment from the 2022-2023 school year was the senior prank gone wrong, which left MV trashed and forced Administration to call an E-Learning Day for the school day following the prank.

“I’m disappointed that some of the seniors ruined our sendoff and vandalized our school. It was a harmless prank gone very wrong,” Becker Andrews, ‘23.

Despite all the challenges tossed in our direction and the lessons we all learned, 2022-2023 also leaves us with unforgettable and warm memories.

“I’ve established friendships with more people this year than in the entirety of my high school career,” said Kylie Poole, ‘24.

“One of my favorite moments from this school year was losing the dodgeball tournament with Cam Meyer,” stated Sawyer Lusby, ‘25.

“My favorite memory was when the Sophomores won the Powderpuff Football game and the Pep Assembly during Homecoming Week!” added Shirley.

May is a bittersweet time of year; students are filled with excitement for Summer vacation and are relishing the 2022-2023 school year.

“I’ve made so many memories this year, and I can’t wait to see what next year holds!” said Poole.