Gerke Contemplates Lunchroom Debacle

Emily Gerke, A&E Editor

Picture this: I’ve just experienced a grueling morning of AP classes, I forgot to pack a lunch again, and all I want is to go get some food and eat. Reasonable enough, right?

Wrong.

The simple task of actually obtaining the food is easy, yes. However, jumping through all the hoops to wait and get said food is another ballpark in general.

Don’t get me wrong, waiting for the hot lunch has its perks. It’s usually pretty good. I just don’t want to have to wait in that line to get said food for twenty minutes. Other food besides hot lunch that is offered is salads, cold sandwiches, burgers, pizza, and some kind of fried potato like fries or tater tots.

One day, I couldn’t even maneuver between the hot lunch line to get to the other side of the servery where the cheeseburgers and fries were located. That’s how bad it was.

Normally, I just cop out of the situation entirely and that scenario normally ends in me picking up a slice of room temperature pizza and checking out.

It’s not good for me (or my stomach) if I have a slice of pizza every day, though I would like to propose this simple question: what happened to the nachos every day with the good cheese? The cheese that they serve now, (once a week) is like eating chips with watered-down flavored cheese on it.

If I do choose to wait in the hot lunch line and have successfully moved through it in a decent amount of time, the next hoop I have to jump through is waiting in the checkout line.

I don’t know if it’s just me that thinks this or what, but there always seems to be one line that is completely packed and then there’s the other two line that have substantially fewer people in it.     What’s up with that?

I understand that one person serving a line with twenty students in it might take a little longer, but seriously, it eats up at least ten (if not twenty) minutes of my time if I choose to get hot lunch. It’s valuable time that I could have spent catching up on homework or catching up with my friends.

Let me propose this idea: create more lunch lines that serve food. Now before some get twisted about that statement; here me out.

I’m not saying make more lines with different food that will ultimately end up costing the school more money. What I am saying is that where the hot food line is, turn that into two separate lines. They serve two different types of food in the hot lunch line, so why can’t they break that line up into two separate lines? That’ll break up that traffic by at least 25% if not 50%.

And as long as there are three lines open to check people out, I don’t think checkout lines would continually be an issue.

I’m not saying I’m an expert on the functions of a cafeteria and how they work, but I think that there could be a way to get over this time-consuming speed bump that could be as simple as opening another line.

Hot lunch this year is surprisingly good. When I had time to wait through the line the other day, the mac and cheese was so worth it.