The Vernois News

Students Need More Freedom

By The Editorial Board

Implemented in August, MV’s cell phone ban, has, overall, worked well. Students are more focused in class, and there is less drama caused by phone usage. However, Chromebooks are another matter. Each student received a device, and since the start of school, restrictions have caused issues within the student body.

The one to one system is a great idea, but, MV has taken so many precautionary measures that it is almost impossible to use the technology that the Foundation spent so much money on to supplement the education taking place.

This “block party,” on technology, as it has been called, is preventing students from completing work that they are assigned because so many of the functions are not accessible. Early on, many students had issues when conducting research because many websites have been blocked, but that soon became a passé – we became familiar to the Impero logo popping up on most sites.

More recently, though, the Administration made the decision to block the USB ports for anything that transfers information, removed the Bluetooth capability, and changed all wallpapers to the “Building a Better World, One Ram at a Time” logo.

These changes, particularly the wallpapers, angered most students. Students felt as if this infringed upon their rights to freedom of expression. However, this notion has been shot down by many staff members who have said that since the Chromebooks are school property, students have no rights to these freedoms.

Although this may be true to an extent, the line must be drawn somewhere.

Students often refer to MV as a prison due to the stifling feeling of restraint that many feel on a daily basis and now due to the immense amount of rules and blockages that have been enforced. Many felt as if their Chromebook wallpapers were their last piece of individuality, and that too has been removed.

To faculty and administration, we offer a solution: Treat students like the young adults they are, and trust us just a little. Communication is key — especially in a school setting. If you do not understand the students that you are governing, how do you know that you are making the best decisions to better their high school education — don’t punish the whole for the actions of a few.

Therefore, The Vernois News proposes that when deciding upon a new change, speak to those who have power within the student body. Speak with the Student Body President, the presidents of the clubs, anyone who can make a difference; hear them out and come to a conclusion that everyone can stand behind.

MV students are almost adults, and at one point in the near future it will be this generation who will be in charge. Wouldn’t it be a better idea to give them a voice now and educate them on the reasoning behind decisions that are made, rather than expect them to make the right decisions later when they have had no experience?

This is not a plea to overturn the changes, but when it comes to making changes down the road, do not leave the ones who make up the majority of the school in the dark.

To the students: do not simply complain — offer solutions and let your voice be heard. Be the mature young adults that you are and make those in authority know where you stand on the issues at hand. Nothing gets resolved when no one takes the initiative; if they do not make an effort, it is the student’s responsibility to do so and bring about the change that needs to occur.

All parties have work to do, there is no denying that, but without constant effort to improve, MV will quickly revert back to a place of negativity. That is not what anyone wants. So, step up MV — we have work to do.